Friday, January 17, 2014

Letter Home

Dear Family,

      Times are hard. I have been shot at numerous times and I can not go a day without being in some sort of danger. I have been brought to the brink of death, but the thought of coming home to you saved me. It is so difficult being an ambulance driver over here. There is so much death and so many days where I feel as though we may win the war. I have records of countless deaths and horrific scenes that will be burrowed into my memory forever. The piles of bodies and constant death have all but become a haze. I do not wish for you to fear for me, however because I am strong and will make it through this war against Germany and the Central Powers. As long as I have my thoughts of you and the kids I will never give up hope.

      How are the kids doing in school? I hope that they are keeping up on their studies and maintaining a good attitude with you. I really wish that I could see them. Not a day goes by that I don't think about all of you. I also hope to keep up on my writings and to send more letters so that you don't have to wonder about me as often. I hope Johnny finally got his bicycle fixed and was able to ride around town like he wanted.

      As for you and you alone, I love you. I wish that I could leave here and be with you and never worry about another war. We could have picnics along the creek back at home and not have a care in the world. I hope to make all of these fantasies true for us one day. Write back to me of what you want to do. I am ever so curious.

      Lastly, there is something I want you to do, Mary. I may not make it back from this war and just incase I don't I want you to have something of mine. I left a shoebox under our bed with a memento of myself for all of you. In that box you will find money that I have saved since I was a boy (this is for you and the kids to stay afloat). You will also find my favorite picture of us in the meadow from five years ago. That is for you. For Johnny my best pocket knife is also inside the box. Make sure he is old enough to understand and use it properly before you give it to him. Lastly, for Susie, I left my grandmother's broach. It was her favorite and she always wore it. Make sure she treats it well.

      I'm sorry but I must wrap this letter up. Our Sargent is telling us that we need to get some shut eye because tomorrow is a big day.

      I love you honey, and I love you both Johnny and Susie, make sure you write back soon.

Signed,

Tanner Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment